Monday, January 31, 2011

Antibiotics. which is which?

I'm now obsessed with infectious disease, currently doing elective rotation for this. Just very basic principle on the choice of a/b. If you suspect bacterial infection, use empirical antibiotics. Do Culture and sensitivity of all available samples.

For empirical guidelines:
1st- know the common microorganisms causing the infection.
2nd- useful to know guidelines in which hospital you works
3rd-offer choice for penicillin allergic patients.
4rd- consider resistance

Basically these are the commonest a/b used. How to remember this?
Streptococci- Benzylpenicillin ( I pronounce it as streB)
Staphylococci-Flucoxicillin ( I pronounce it as staF )
anaerobes-Metronidazole ( anae for azole )
Gram -ve- gentamycin ( gen)

and usually i love to use my lecturer's simplified table



credit to my lecturer :Dr J. Q

No comments:

Post a Comment